The brochure titled “Benefits For Children With Disabilities” outlines what qualifies a child for Apply For Disability Benefits – Child (Under Age 18). This webpage will prompt you to review the Child Disability Starter Kit (which answers common questions about applying for SSI benefits, as well as provides worksheet to help parents gather the information required to apply), to contact Social Security (to find out if the income and resources the parents have are within the allowed limits), and to fill out the Online Child Disability Report (the information provided will help the SSA make their decision).
Find your local Social Security Office by using the Social Security Office Locator through your ZIP code, and they will be able to answer questions, help determine eligibility, and guide you through the application process if your child is eligible. Their toll-free number is 1–800–772–1213 (TTY: 1-800-325-0778) 1. You can also find other ways to contact Social Security on their Contact Social Security page.
You can also visit the page called “What You Can Do Online” on the SSA website, where you can apply for benefits, appeal decisions, find out if you (or your child) qualify for benefits, estimate future benefits, and do much more. However, it is advised that you visit your local Social Security Office before beginning the application process to avoid potential loss in benefits.
- Apply For Disability Benefits – Child (Under Age 18)
- SSI Child Disability Starter Kit
- Online Child Disability Report
- Social Security Office Locator
- Social Security Administration
- Social Security Administration’s Online Services (“What You Can Do Online”)
- Information For Kids And Families
- Understanding Supplemental Security Income
- Comprendiendo Seguridad de Ingreso Suplementario
- Contact Social Security